Chief Richard W. Myers Scholarship Fund
Police Foundation of Colorado Springs established the Chief Richard W. Myers Scholarship Fund in 2011 in recognition of Richard W. Myers, retired Colorado Springs Police Department Chief, and his support of active and retired department staff, their dependents, and his belief in the benefits of higher education.
Applicants need to read the guidelines and procedures, provide the necessary information on the application and ensure all required documentation is submitted. Incomplete applications will not be accepted and will be returned to the applicant.
The actual number of grants awarded from year to year will be determined, in part, on the availability of scholarship funds and the decision of the Scholarship Committee. Selection of all awards will be based on factors deemed relevant by the Scholarship Committee, including but not limited to, prior academic performance, letters of recommendation and character reference, community involvement, and financial need. Applications will be reviewed by the Scholarship Committee whose decision will be final.
If awarded a scholarship, the recipient must maintain full-time status of 12 credits per semester and maintain a 3.0 GPA or a passing grade in a pass/fail grading system. If he/she fails to comply with these requirements, repayment of the scholarship may be required. Recipients will be required to submit their semester transcript to Police Foundation of Colorado Springs within thirty (30) days from the end of the semester.
Submission of your application implies consent to the use of your name and scholarship award for our website and/or articles written about our scholarship program.
Police Foundation of Colorado Springs does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin or ancestry, gender, age, religious convictions, disability or sexual orientation.
Chief Richard W. Myers Scholarship Fund
2017 SCHOLARSHIP GUIDELINES
An applicant must meet the following qualifications:
- Be a dependent child of an active, full-time CSPD employee; or
- Be a dependent child of a retired CSPD employee; or
- Be a dependent child of a CSPD officer that was killed in the line of duty.
The term "child(ren)" includes natural, foster, adopted, step-children or dependent child(ren) of a Civil Union Partner. Police Foundation of Colorado Springs requires that the employee must be in good standing or have retired as such and PFCS will abide by CSPD’s current guidelines.
- Enrolled in an Associate degree (two-year) or in a Bachelor’s (four-year) program at an accredited college or university.
- Must have a high school GPA of 3.0.
In order for the Scholarship Committee to review your application, all applicants must submit the following:
- An original typed application (not hand written). Click here for the application.
- An original typed essay (500 words or less, double-spaced). See “Submit an Essay” section of application
- An original, sealed high school transcript (not required for home-schooled students or for applicants currently attending college)
- Copy of SAT and/or ACT scores (High School Seniors only)
- Letter verifying acceptance to an accredited college or university (High School Seniors only)
- Two letters of recommendation including at least one letter from an instructor
Applicants that are home-schooled must also submit the following:
- Official copy of the Notice to Home Instruct or Religious Waiver Request
- High School Curricula
Applicants currently enrolled in an accredited college or university must submit the following:
- An original, sealed college transcript
- Letter verifying continued eligibility of full-time enrollment (copy of upcoming semester registration is acceptable)
All personal and scholastic information will be used for verification purposes only. Applications will be judged on the following criteria:
- Community/volunteer achievements
- Academic achievement
- Grammar and spelling
- The application must be sent by mail.
- Application must be typed. Handwritten applications and essays will not be accepted or considered.
- Applicants not submitting a complete application package will not be considered.
- Application packages postmarked after the deadline date will not be considered.
The application and supporting documentation must be postmarked by May 3, 2017.
Police Foundation of Colorado Springs
ATTN: Nicole Magic Soto, Executive Director
10 Lake Circle
Colorado Springs, CO 80906
For questions, please email: email@example.com